PDA

View Full Version : RangerVision Update Questions, Concerns & Skin Issues

GoldPhoenixRanger
06-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Hello Members!

This is the official thread to discuss the new Board Changes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK13r4uoYJo

If you have any questions or concerns, or if you find any issues with the new features or any of the skins, please let us know and we will do our best to fix those issues as soon as possible.

-RV Staff

Sabbatical
06-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Just a heads up, with the Mighty Morphin skin the normal font color and the content background are the same color. Also possibly adding a "Personal" category for blog posts could help a bit. For example, I'd love to do a food blog :P

Question
06-20-2014, 08:04 AM
I still think it's stupid to have articles show up as threads that I have to click another link to actually read. Making it more difficult for your members to access content - even one click more difficult, because we all know the regard with which I hold most people on the internet - is literally the exact opposite of the thing you should be doing.

GoldPhoenixRanger
06-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Just a heads up, with the Mighty Morphin skin the normal font color and the content background are the same color. Also possibly adding a "Personal" category for blog posts could help a bit. For example, I'd love to do a food blog :P

Thanks for the report and the suggestion! Fixed and Added. :D

I still think it's stupid to have articles show up as threads that I have to click another link to actually read. Making it more difficult for your members to access content - even one click more difficult, because we all know the regard with which I hold most people on the internet - is literally the exact opposite of the thing you should be doing.

While an extra click is required for "Articles" clicked from the "Recent Threads" list at the bottom of the /Forum page, the article posts are displayed in full on the front page of www.rangervision.com (or www.rangervision.com/content.php) and clicking "read more" shows any portion of the post that was hidden below the cutoff. This is the intent of this feature, is to display these posts on the front page so they (and their text/videos/images/etc.) can be seen by anyone stopping by the page, instead of having to dig through threads. In addition, these Articles have a comment system attached, allowing for interaction with the article. If those reading the articles would like to discuss the topics further, then they can click Forum and discuss them in the threads proper.

Question
06-20-2014, 09:31 AM
1.) Have you not noticed that the comments on the front page articles are the same as the thread comments? They're literally just being posted in two places.

2.) Even if Point 1 was not the case, why would you ever need a comments section *and* a thread?

3.) When you click 'New Posts' on the forum, you see a list of updated threads. Sometimes, the threads are prefixed with [Article]. Clicking on those threads shows an OP that says you can read the article by clicking another link. That's stupid. It's even MORE stupid when you realize that apparently the comments to the article are duplicated but the article itself isn't. You're actively making it more difficult for people to engage in discussion on the forum.

In addition, these Articles have a comment system attached, allowing for interaction with the article. If those reading the articles would like to discuss the topics further, then they can click Forum and discuss them in the threads proper.

So you have two places to discuss an article that only gets posted to one place and you don't see the issue with this.

I'm, like, really trying to be helpful and not just call you an idiot but you're not making it easy, man.

Sabbatical
06-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Coding error... or maybe it's not... but when I click "Forum" in the quick navigation where it has "Forum > Command Center..." etc, I get sent to the home page. Just thought I'd let you know.

GoldPhoenixRanger
06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
1.) Have you not noticed that the comments on the front page articles are the same as the thread comments? They're literally just being posted in two places.

2.) Even if Point 1 was not the case, why would you ever need a comments section *and* a thread?

3.) When you click 'New Posts' on the forum, you see a list of updated threads. Sometimes, the threads are prefixed with [Article]. Clicking on those threads shows an OP that says you can read the article by clicking another link. That's stupid. It's even MORE stupid when you realize that apparently the comments to the article are duplicated but the article itself isn't. You're actively making it more difficult for people to engage in discussion on the forum.

So you have two places to discuss an article that only gets posted to one place and you don't see the issue with this.

I'm, like, really trying to be helpful and not just call you an idiot but you're not making it easy, man.

Alright, I'll explain this in more detail now that I fully understand what you are talking about. As you may or may not have noticed, those threads with links are in a hidden forum that does not appear on the Forum Listing page, and that's for a reason. As far as I can tell, the comments themselves are not actually on the front page, they are actually in that created thread, and then just displayed shown on the main page. The Article comment system requires that thread to exist so it has somewhere to host the comments that it needs to display on the Article page, as that page is literally just a list of comments. This is useful for new articles created from scratch, but a little redundant for articled promoted from existing threads. I agree it's a little stupid and VBulletin could have designed it better but there isn't much we can do about it.

If it makes you feel better, I can hide that entire forum and all threads within it so that you don't see them in recent threads. That way, all you see is the thread from which the article was initially promoted (assuming it isn't an article from scratch) and the comments on the main page where the Article is located.

Sorry for the confusion, as I didn't initially understand what you were talking about.

Coding error... or maybe it's not... but when I click "Forum" in the quick navigation where it has "Forum > Command Center..." etc, I get sent to the home page. Just thought I'd let you know.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure how to fix that but I'll look into it. I think it's because that button automatically defaults to whatever the home page is. If I can find a way to change that button without changing what the actual home page is, I'll let you know.

Sabbatical
06-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Also, for some reason, I can't see comments at all on the regular Megaforce skin. Not trying to be a pain with all of this, just finding these out as I go.

GoldPhoenixRanger
06-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Also, for some reason, I can't see comments at all on the regular Megaforce skin. Not trying to be a pain with all of this, just finding these out as I go.

Did you mean the "Megaforce" skin, or the "Go Go Megaforce" skin? Either way, I think I fixed it on both. Let me know whether it worked or not.

Gia Moran
09-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Can you please delete my super samurai fanfic i'm not continueing that one i'm continueing with megaforce just not samurai please and thank you

Gia Moran
09-19-2014, 07:29 AM
I am having trouble with my fanfic i can't edit it can you delete my megaforce fanfic i want to repost it please and thank you

Ms. Katie Wallace "Chosen One"
09-30-2014, 12:56 AM
I am glad to see the site is back up and running again. Where is the archive on here?

Kurama
09-30-2014, 01:48 AM
It has been removed from sight during the cleanup, if you want anything from it just ask.