PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the American team make their own footage?

VX Ranger
09-11-2005, 08:57 AM
i always wondered about this.....

VX Ranger
09-11-2005, 09:12 AM
i meant the fights as ranger were taped from japan the suits should have been changed or the zords didnt do the sucky godzilla thing

Long Time Fan
09-11-2005, 09:26 AM
i always wondered about this.....
Like PDA mentioned, there are American morph battles and zord battles but there aren?t a lot, and the reason there are not that many is because of budget reasons and it's cheaper to use Sentai footage.

DekaBreak
09-11-2005, 10:15 AM
The Sentai footage is usually of better quality as well. You can actually tell when the footage goes between american and japanese, watch the martial arts and such of the Japanese and compair them to the american. The Japanese fights look alot more real, as opposed to people Jumping around randomly, yelling "HA" and "HO" every so often and shooting sparks from their torsos.

sdp
09-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I always wondered about what porcentage do they use of sentai footage?

i had read that all the action scenes were sentai but that is obviously incorrect,

RedRangerJuno
09-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Morphed? As stated above, because Sentai footage is cheaper.

Unmorphed? Because a lot of the actors now are cast more for a pretty face and/or decent acting more than there martial arts/gymnastics prowess these days.

Titanium Ranger
09-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Sound sad. SO if they want pretty faces and decent acting why did they apply for power rangers in the first place?

Bad_Cat_Girl
09-23-2005, 05:54 AM
The Sentai footage is usually of better quality as well. You can actually tell when the footage goes between american and japanese, watch the martial arts and such of the Japanese and compair them to the american. The Japanese fights look alot more real, as opposed to people Jumping around randomly, yelling "HA" and "HO" every so often and shooting sparks from their torsos.

I'm sorry, but that really brings back memories, and I'm turning blue from how hard I'm laughing right now.:D

Impulse87
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
although American footage does exist, it's far too expensive for the show to be made up of nothing but american footage, so they use sentai footage, of course for special episodes (Forever red, team ups) they usually have a lot of American footage. For Spd, it seems that they're reshooting a lot of shots because people are getting struck in the head and such

Excel Ranger
09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Because they are making it look more like a kiddie show

CowRanger
09-24-2005, 01:11 PM
1. Budget

2. Why should they reshoot something when they don't need to?

3. I've heard that Disney or Toei or somebody requires a certain amount of Sentai footage use, but I may be wrong on that.

yeah i think they have to use sentai footage also, because i always heard that sentai lets us use their ideas and and things as long as we use their footage and pay them for it

Justin Alton
09-24-2005, 01:15 PM
How much of the Dino Thunder action scenes were actually Sentai?

CowRanger
09-24-2005, 01:35 PM
i dont think many were because the bring back of tommy seeemed entirly american, unless they needed anew ranger and couldn't get one, and the acotr for tommy was open and thought it'd be cool if he came back

Bad_Cat_Girl
10-02-2005, 12:09 PM
They might also have been a teeny lazy too. you know, in a lot of those old universal films every train you saw would be the same footage? It's called stack footage (also known as lazy @ss footage) when radio shows were big, they'd use stock sound. Old, old technique. I'm surprised you guys would be surprised. Heh, it's a good thing they had those full face helmets. at least we weren't subjected to mouths not fitting the words like in a lot of dubbed anime and Godzilla movies.

(Bad_Cat get's off topis about here, you may ignore) My mum used to tell me of them going to Godzilla movies at driveins, and what my dad would do is turn off the sound box and make up his own dialogue for the movie.:D

Titanium Ranger
10-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Ninja Storm. IT had mostly american footage so maybe that's why you people don't like it. And the Japanese 'rangers' have crappy looks and wild long hair. note WILD.

3HeadedMonkey
10-02-2005, 12:48 PM
there's some american footage. in the mmpr era, you could tell which was sentai and which was american easily by the green ranger's shield. it looked better in sentai footage.

Bad_Cat_Girl
10-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Hmm,I never noticed (Well, I was about eight and haven't seen any of th old episodes since)

PRTFFan
11-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Someone on youtube said 90% is sentai footage.It's much less than that.It's probably about 25%.But it used to be easier to tell beacuse everything suddenly went grainy.

mikejonas
11-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Handy rule of thumb (though not 100% true) is that if they're all morphed and there are no PR-only elements in the sequence (Battlizers, Leelee, etc), it's most likely Sentai footage.

All zord footage is Sentai footage (except for the stuff in the movies and the post-Season 1 Ultrazord shots).

Ryoutarou
11-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Someone on youtube said 90% is sentai footage.It's much less than that.It's probably about 25%.But it used to be easier to tell beacuse everything suddenly went grainy.Because Sentai started using this wonderful filming technique called "digital film". 90% is about right in terms of sentai footage used.

sentaired
11-16-2006, 09:38 PM
ooooooooooooh digital film

Highor_import
11-16-2006, 09:55 PM
In Mighty Morphin Power Rangers you can disguise Sentai form American because:
- Dragon Shield in sentai footage is hard, and less shiny.
- Trini is a man in sentai footage. In american footage she has breasts.
- The american clothes aren't sticked to the body.

monkeyjb1988
11-16-2006, 10:38 PM
dude

there are american morphed battles, there are american zord battles

For obvious reasons, however, there are more American morphed battles than there are American zord battles. All the American zord battles seem to take place in the finales (with exceptions, of course). Personally, I like the American footage. It shows that the film-makers went the extra mile than if they had used Sentai footage, although I do like Sentai :mmd:

thedude60126
11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
On another fact. You could really easily tell the senti from the american footage in MMPR buy how shiny the suits where in senti compared to the slightly dull looking american footage. Also after the intro of the white Ranger (who is actually a ranger from a different season of senti) whenever the white ranger and the other rangers where together that is american footage (hence the white ranger always went off on his own to battle goldar)

PRTFFan
11-17-2006, 01:23 AM
They hardly used any from time force-spd.They reshot or edited it instead.But mystic force had to go and ruin it.They still reshot or edited the footage but the villains were all the same except they had Necrolai instead of Nai and Mea.

Tekkaranger
11-17-2006, 05:01 AM
American Zord Battles are very few, but they tend to be epic, like in Power of Pink. Is it true that Lost Galaxy got re-edited and sold in Japan? The whole PR legacy of Sentai is now the same as our "thing" with japanese sentai?

I had hoped for an american Nai & Mea...they were cute.

Pimpranger
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
well, the whole tradition of the power ranger legacy is to use sentai footage, as they did for every ranger shows.

and time force was FULL of sentai footage. You can tell because its more darker, kinda grainy like, and more contrastic.