PDA

View Full Version : [Ranger] Why Zyuranger?

rmssw
12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
If Super Sentai had been so successful in Japan for almost 20 years, why did it take so long for the US to pick up on it? It was relatively cheap to produce for the US; shoot some US actors, throw in some battle and Mecha footage, bam, you have a kids show.

Was there something special about Zyuranger?

HoneyFlash
12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Actually, I had heard that they tried the concept a year earlier with Jetman (http://www.supersentai.com/database/1991_jetman/index.html), but that the pilot had failed to garner enough interest... or something like that.

As for WHY they didn't do it earlier... maybe because it took someone like Saban (an alleged total cheapskate) to realize "Hey, I could totally just buy the footage and splice some other actors into it, and make a show without having to pay other actors' salary! Brilliant!" (Okay, I'm not sure this is exactly why he did it, but it sounds good.)

rmssw
12-29-2005, 03:32 PM
For 1, even if it's just what you said it was, it takes MILLIONS and BILLIONS to produce 1 PR season.

and 2, Jetman WAS considered for the first PR season. Hell, they filmed the pilot episode for it. But they also tried with Flashman and Maskman. Dinosaurs were just big at the time.

If it took Billions of dollars to produce a season of PR, no one ever would have done it.

In terms of other TV shows, PR is super cheap to produce, even now. Especially when the payout is so big from merchandise sales.

MysticForceLloyd
12-29-2005, 11:41 PM
For 1, even if it's just what you said it was, it takes MILLIONS and BILLIONS to produce 1 PR season.

and 2, Jetman WAS considered for the first PR season. Hell, they filmed the pilot episode for it. But they also tried with Flashman and Maskman. Dinosaurs were just big at the time.
Is there anywhere i could see these pilots? Plus it doesn't take Millions to make a season, or they would have only done one!

Deka~Crimson
12-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Well it sure as hell doesn't just take hundreds. I remember Bruce saying somewhere that they spent over $20 million on SPD. And no, the pilots were never released but to a few test audiences. I however, have it on my computer. LOL

well for SPD, I could see how it would cost $20 mill, but on the same token, some actors make that for a movie (most times the lead actor) so i dont see how Disney can be so cheap as to think thats too much for a season. I say kick it up a notch!

Also, I agree with you GreenMantis, Dinosaurs were big at the time and just the right place to start for PR IMO.

And one last thing, hook a brother up with some of those pilots! I got some other hook-ups. We can make an even trade, lol. PM me seriously

MysticForceLloyd
12-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Well it sure as hell doesn't just take hundreds. I remember Bruce saying somewhere that they spent over $20 million on SPD. And no, the pilots were never released but to a few test audiences. I however, have it on my computer. LOL
CAn you upload it or something?

Zedd's the man
12-30-2005, 08:01 AM
But mighty morphin was low budget, even umuncset power rangers.

Zordon's Boy
12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
it was tried with other sentai seasons, but the main reason zyuranger caught on was cuz of the dinosaurs. dinos were really really big with kids at the time

imported_imported_Jedi Ranger
12-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Yup Dinosaurs were really huge at the time. I remember in the summer of '93 Jurassic Park and Power Rangers came out at the same time. I was crazy about Dinosaurs. Seeing how giant robotic Dinos transform into a giant robot was soo awsome; and still is.

SteelReserveHG
12-30-2005, 05:41 PM
true. maybe thats a reason why I liked Dino thunder as much as I did, along with tommy being on there, I wish they would have AJJ do another season, she could be red ranger. hehe

Zordon's Boy
12-31-2005, 07:07 AM
I wish they would have AJJ do another season, she could be red ranger. hehe

that would definitely be awesome. i never really liked dinos like veryone else did. i mean, i liked them, but not that much.

HereJustToDownload
12-31-2005, 11:24 AM
"I however, have it on my computer"

do you?
come on man..share it with us or stop bullshiting

ultra kenn
12-31-2005, 12:03 PM
So far so good, at least Saban did well for the first few PR season, better then disney...

Zedd's the man
12-31-2005, 04:13 PM
"I however, have it on my computer"

do you?
come on man..share it with us or stop bullshiting
oh, like you've never done anything like this. with all your "mystic force" rumors.

Jyukai Rahziel Azu
12-31-2005, 04:54 PM
I finally saw the first ep of ZYURANGER. I was surprised how good the fighting was. Just as good as Dairanger.

Gypsyrose
01-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Continuing the "Dinosaurs made PR popular' topic...
Yeah, my older brother loved those dinosaurs when he watched PR. When he saw me watching the SPD zords, he was like, "What?...where are the dinosaurs? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH THE DINOSAURS?"
OK, those weren't his exact words, but you get the idea.

HoneyFlash
01-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Yeah, my older brother loved those dinosaurs when he watched PR. When he saw me watching the SPD zords, he was like, "What?...where are the dinosaurs? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH THE DINOSAURS?"
OK, those weren't his exact words, but you get the idea.

I'm sad those weren't your brother's exact words, because that would've been hilarious.

Anyway, I totally forgot that dinosaurs were popular back then. What can I say -- I wasn't into dinosaurs.