PDA

View Full Version : [Ranger] How do YOU like to see a season laid out?

Database Ranger
05-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't know about you guys, but for me, one of the key parts of making a PR season enjoyable, right up there with characters, storylines, and themes, is the way the stories are laid out.

How important is inter-episode continuity?

What should be the ratio of story-intensive episodes to fillers?

At what point in the season should you introduce a new ranger or a new megazord?

How long should any one continuous story arc run for?

And which season do you think did the best overall job of laying things out?

I'd like to see your answers and arguments to all these questions and more, then present my own opinions on story layout. Have fun!

Ellissa
05-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Continuity between episodes is important, like if two characters had an arguement that wasn't sorted out last episode and they're suddenly best buddies again in the next episode or something like that. I think the story should advance at least a tiny bit every episode, although obviously more in some than others. I really liked the way SPD layed out the season. The Sky and Jack stuff was done well, and I also liked how all these things Grumm was stealing that seemed like he just wanted to be rich turned out to be something for his master plan.

GohanWinner
05-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Inter-episodic continuity is extremeley important. I hate it when something is introduced and ignored for the rest of the season, or something like that. I believe new rangers should be introduced at least halfway through the season. I feel that, filler is needed, and there should be some one shot stories, I mean, every series has that. But I feel there should be something to move the plot along, even the tiniest bit in most episodes, like Ellissa said.

Continuous storyarcs I suppose should last at most three-parters. Green With Evil was fun, but it was too many episods focusing on one thing. It worked for that, mostly, but it was a little much.

I feel that maybe you can have a three parter and then continue on that story throughout following episodes. Such as Trent in Dino Thunder. There was the white ranger three parter, and his story continued moving along in the back.

I think Dino Thunder is an excellent example of how a season should be done. And Mystic Force seems to be shaping up into a decent example as well.

zeoforever
05-21-2006, 12:48 AM
I think I'll let a season been laid out naturally (in other words, few spoilers)

uncle johnny rocamartin
05-25-2006, 04:17 AM
a little romance a little adventure lots of action and things that try too make alittle or lots of sense.

Crystal Ranger
05-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Inter-episodic continuity is extremeley important. I hate it when something is introduced and ignored for the rest of the season, or something like that. I believe new rangers should be introduced at least halfway through the season. I feel that, filler is needed, and there should be some one shot stories, I mean, every series has that. But I feel there should be something to move the plot along, even the tiniest bit in most episodes, like Ellissa said.

Continuous storyarcs I suppose should last at most three-parters. Green With Evil was fun, but it was too many episods focusing on one thing. It worked for that, mostly, but it was a little much.

I feel that maybe you can have a three parter and then continue on that story throughout following episodes. Such as Trent in Dino Thunder. There was the white ranger three parter, and his story continued moving along in the back.

I think Dino Thunder is an excellent example of how a season should be done. And Mystic Force seems to be shaping up into a decent example as well.
You coverd it mostly. Those and maybe give them a more adult-ish theme like we got in LG and TF.

PsychoPhantomRanger
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I guess timing is the key, and making sure that timing fits with the number of episodes the season has. It's kinda like a mathematic formula (mixed with my opinions, of course). Most of these suggestions are either common sense, or are already being done. If I'm restating elements of a power ranger season that's already going at that pace, then I guess you could say I'm reinforcing it for good measure.

- For me, I find it more balanced when the sixth ranger enters the story one-quarter into the season. Ryan and Eric did this. So if the season is forty episodes, make the sixth ranger come in around episode 10 or 11. Make his story arc last until episode 13 or 14, and judging by the outcome of his story, he'll stay in whatever condition he's in (whether part of the team or not). A few episodes later (maybe within the twenties), have another story arc for him that changes his position as a ranger (such as joining the team, making a truce, losing powers, or leaves.)

- As for both, premires and finales, they're best when they are two-parters at a mimimum. If the premire isn't a two-parter, the best alternate route is for the next episode to take place almost immediately after the previous one, with fragments of the previous episode's plot resolving, and the new one starting up. If a finale isn't a three parter, make the episode before the two parter tie in to the finale at least one way or the other.

- The primary zords should be introduced either episode two or three. Never the first episode. At least not in current seasons. It's best to introduce one set of powers at a time. Have zord power ups be introduced around episode 7 or 8, preferably in a two parter that has some background of a ranger. You can kill two birds with one stone like that.

- As for battlizers, introduce them LATE. Like, 3/4's into the season, within the episode range of 26 to 31. And make the battlizer powerful, so the late debut of this power up could serve purpose and make sense (unlike Jack's where it was introduced and then succeeded two episodes later by Swat Mode).

- Whether it's part of introducing a power-up or not, about half-way through the season, make some kind of drastic change in the story. Example: Two characters fall in love, start (or enhance)/end a rivalry, betrays one another, or have a particular villaim bite the dust.

- No helmet heads.

- Though I originally thought having a Digimon-esque format for a season would be nice, it would possibly rid itself of all fillers, which I believe (a small majority of) is neccessary for further character development.

- With the usage of power ups, it should always be kept in mind upon how often they are used. If a power up hasn't been used in a while, give a reason for it. Show it being destroyed in a previous fight, making it out of order for the next 5 or so episodes. Make it as if the rangers are aware of what their artillery is going through, and make sure they are used in absolutely necessary situations. If the episode is racing themed, don't use a battlizer; use that Raptor Rider of yours you haven't used for the past 20 episodes.

- If a mentor/rival ranger is to be introduced, I'd say do it as soon as possible. Around episode 6 is good, then it can immediately follow up into a two-parter around episode 7 and 8, introducing their personal arsenal completely, if possible.

- And as for continuity, if it is not a filler, make the story progress one way or the other. Something, anything that sheds more light on what's going on. Say for example, if Relic Hunter's plot just happens to involve solving an ancient puzzle, make them find at least ONE clue to the puzzle every episode. No single continuity episode should go unwasted.

- Have at least TWO story-focus episodes for each of the core rangers. Whether it be filler or not, it still should be in the format one way or the other.

And that's it. I think.

GohanWinner
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Much more articulate about it than I was, but I had a lot of the same ideas you presented.

Warfare
06-03-2006, 12:02 AM
I would like to see an plan unflod but not be clearly explained till the last few eppisodes. The Plans of Grumm and Lothor were really good.

I also believe we should start with 3 rangers like Dino thunder and Ninja storm. I feel I got to know Tori, Shane, And Dustin alot more. And Cam too. Same with Connor, Ethan, Kira, and Tommy. It seemed easier to focus on the three rangers. In SPD we had a lack of eppisodes focusing on the girls. If the season is 40 eppisodes and you have 6-ranger characters I focus at least 3 eppisodes on every ranger. That would leave a lot for the other rangers. I would have also developed the background.

Questions I have- Who is SPD exactly how did it start?
WE got absolutely no back story on Sam.
How did Z and Jack meet?

Continuity is important you can progress with each eppisode. It doesn't have to be the focus of every eppisode but it can happen in the background. We should have learned about Omni sooner. I mean Grumm didn't even acknowledge him in the beginning.

Villians need a back story. Why do they want earth? Why not another planet?
Grumm was an evil emperor obviously conquered galaxies but they were never shown or mentioned. Who ran them while he was away? What happened to them when he was destroyed. If I were to have evil rangers I would explain their reasons for being evil. None of this greed crap. A definite love affair. WE lost that with SPD. Disney doesn't seem to know how to do this. They can do action fine but where's the romance. I would develop it over time but I wouldn't take like half the season for them to kiss. My main progression would be over all the eppisodes but I would have some stand alone ones too.

Mister H
06-20-2006, 06:21 AM
What I like about Mystic Force is the character relationships. Madison was able to convey more passion for Daggeron while just staring than Kira was able to convery for Trent in several lines of dialog.

I also like the Vida/Chip relationship. It's not a typical best friends relationship like we're used to seeing on Power Rangers. Chip loves Vida, but not in that romantic way. He loves her in that intense way that happens between friends who have gone through trials and tribulations of childhood and puberty. I wish Power Rangers had more of that.

I kind wished that the whole franchise were laid out more like a Sci-fi show with interconnecting mythology, but oh well, that would be waaaaaay over the heads of their target demographic.

ZoeThePinkRanger
06-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I kind wished that the whole franchise were laid out more like a Sci-fi show with interconnecting mythology, but oh well, that would be waaaaaay over the heads of their target demographic.

It's a shame they don't make a more grown-up Power Rangers series for those of us who have been around since the beginning.

Shinji2015
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
The only way I see us getting anything like that would be a comic book, and that's been shot down for the moment.

Eiji-Silver
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Watch Super Sentai? :D

Anyway, I pretty much agree with a lot of points here.[/lazy]

ZoeThePinkRanger
06-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Well I'm kinda writing my own series as a set of fanfics (it was originally supposed to be an RP but unless I was nagging them, half my players were either useless, lazy, or both).
Anyways, as I eventually intend to post it in the appropriate section of this site, I'll not give out too many spoilers now, just some of the key story points in general terms. I guess I'm trying to see what people think I should change before I actually do it.

Ok. First 2 episodes cover the standard season premiere stuff: Villain attacks, Rangers (5 of them) chosen and empowered. World saved, first Megazord used, and a little extra in the shape of a part-time ally.

Long-running background plot involving the government starts in episode 3.

Sixth Ranger and wild card character (neither with rangers nor the Big Bad) brought in in episodes 4 & 5 (2-parter)

One of the villains bites the dust in episode 8.

Evil Ranger brought in during episode 14. 3-parter followed immediately by a 2-parter where the good Rangers get their first power upgrade and second set of Zords.

Evil Ranger destroyed in episode 24.

New villainous second-in-command arrives episode 26.

Rangers get final power upgrade in episode 36 (no Battlizer because I hate them).

Final 3 episodes pretty much a continuous story to end the series (40-42)

So, as an outline, does that work? Obviously there will be episodes that focus on the Rangers as people, not just super-heroes