Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Decade View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to throw out an apology for not having scores yet. They're waiting on my scores and Christmas time is the busiest time of the year where I work so I haven't really had the time or energy to read and score. I do now and scores will be forthcoming. I hope your holidays have been and continue to be happy!

--KRD

Yeah, sorry for missing the Monday goal guys, I had hoped to have these up today but circumstances didn't permit due to KRD's schedule. As soon as I have his scores, I'll make sure I get them up post haste.

-GPR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ok, once again I'm sorry for the delay, but here are the scores for Episode 18!!

EPISODE 18

Power Rangers: Unleashed – Episode 18: Fear and Business in Pan Central

Judge 1 – This was an amazing episode, and really like how the finale is shaping up! I get the feeling that Dimas isn't truly gone, and that he might be the one to save the day. I also love how you upped the stakes by getting Selena involved. This should be one explosive finale to a great season.

Judge 2 – This was a fascinating installment. I fully enjoyed it; especially the “villain of the week” or should I say “bi-week.” I can’t wait to read your two part finale. Keep up the great work and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – N/A

Power Rangers: Relic Hunters – Episode 18: Captured Ghosts

Judge 1 – I'm...really not sure what to say here. This was a very unique episode both with the complete villain focus and the whole existential world of Eugenie and Zorg. I'm psyched to see where this goes for the finish and how Eugenie and Zorg's true selves affect the battle. I forsee a massive fight between Zorg and Azazel for Eugenie/Dayu's affections, leaving Nerox to fight the rangers. Should be a whole lot of fun and awesome!

Judge 2 – Very interesting. I just love the story and how it’s going. Keep up the great work. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – N/A

Power Rangers: The Corsair Project – Episode 18: At What Cost

Judge 1 – This was a VERY well done episode. The tension was kept up through the whole episode, and the twists and turns were shocking. One thing I will point out is it seemed odd that they shrugged off the missing RPM rangers only to freak out about them a few paragraphs later (when K realized they were missing). Bit of a contradiction there. Either way, I am SO psyched for the finale of the series, as I know it's going to be awesome.

Judge 2 – This was a great installment. I loved how Medd backstabbed them all. You guys write real well. Well keep up the good work and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – N/A

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EPISODE 19

Power Rangers: Unleashed – Episode 19: Ghosts

Judge 1 – Ok, wow. Shit just got real, and fast. I give you credit for destroying the Earth because I did NOT see that one coming. I liked how you worked in the lack of powers and the villains using the keys in a way that made for some awesome battles but still left the clones defeatable. It felt like a bit of a cop out that Drancon just gave them their morphing powers back, but I understand why you did it that way, so it makes sense. I also enjoyed that little preview between episodes 19 and 20 with a good emotional message, and I look forward to seeing the explosive finale!!

Judge 2 – This was an action packed installment. I am a little confused as to how they went from fighting to being on the Galleon. All in all that was a great episode. Very Power Ranger-y for an ending or close to an ending. I am looking forward to your confusing on this fan fiction and it was great that you made clones of different rangers. Keep up the good work and I hope your holidays went well.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – The only thing I really have to say about this is that I was a little disappointed in how you worked in the fighting with no powers. It felt a touch shoe-horned in, but I guess that's why some people don't always go for the "surprises." On the flip side, I'm happy to see that you, at least, went for it. Good job!

Power Rangers: Relic Hunters – Episode 19: Judgment Daze

Judge 1 – That was a great episode!! It was a bit of an exposition dump, but in a season where the story is episodic with only a few slight threads here and there connecting them, figuring out an overall crisis to end it all must have been hard. I love how you tied all the past events of the Relic Hunters into this final "fight" if you will, and how it's almost more of an introspective look at themselves as much as it is a fight to save existence as we know it. I'm sad to see Nerox go, but at least we know he's still alive in that dumpster somewhere and can be brought back later. Finally, I just want to say that Skull Skullovitch: Time Traveling Attorney needs to be a series, as it is an amazing concept. At any rate, I am psyched for your finale and look forward to seeing how this all wraps up!

Judge 2 – This is a fascinating story. Sexton is still my favorite character. I thought it was interesting how Azazel trapped Nerox in Rita’s dumpster. That was very cleaver using a reference like that. I can’t wait until the ending. I hope you all had a great holiday.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – A little disappointed, but not all that surprised, that you didn't go for the "surprise." Still, this one was a great episode. And now the entire season makes sense to me. Have to say... didn't see that coming. Great work as always!

Power Rangers: The Corsair Project – Episode 19: Day of the Rangers: Part I

Judge 1 – That was really an amazing episode, although it did seem like a lot was crammed into it. Between the right for Corinth, the destruction of Medd, the introduction of the Thunder Force rangers, and the preparations' for the final battle, the action was nonstop and at times a bit overwhelming. That said, it worked wonders in expressing how close to the end we are and how big of a battle this is going to be. I am incredibly psyched for the final battle and to see where the season ends!

Judge 2 – This was an incredible installment. I loved how Mama D used the Venjix virus to make rangers. I am really going to miss Medd…not! I loved how he was destroyed. Keep up the great work and hope you all had a great holiday.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – Have to say, I'm quite disappointed that you guys didn't go for the "surprise." Especially after you told us you had a perfect set-up for it.... which you did. However, I understand why you didn't. You would have had to change the complexion of the entire episode to fit that in. While you're writing technique, character development, and action are all great, I think this episode and the previous episode shows that your pacing wasn't quite right for the series as a whole. I think perhaps devoting each episode to only one team of rangers probably wasn't the best pacing strategy given the amount of episodes you had to work with and it showed with your last two episodes here. Still, it was a great episode and I look forward to seeing how it ends!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EPISODE 20

NOTE: The Leaderboard Score for Relic Hunters should be 103.6 instead of 103.8.

Power Rangers: Unleashed – Episode 20: The Night of Destruction

Judge 1 – I have to say, I felt like this finale was a bit rushed. While it accomplished what it set out to do, it seemed like it was just trying to wrap everything up without a sense of how climactic the battle was. I do admire that you chose not to have some Deus Ex Machina bring Earth back from destruction, which was original and unexpected, but overall I feel like this finale just fell flat.

Judge 2 – It could have been a little better of an ending, but it was good to say the least. The defeat of Drancon was cool, using the Deletion Keys against him. I really didn’t care for the little cliff hanger at the end where they go off and defeat the rest of the Empire. You should have incorporate that in your finale to make the story end well. To me it was another “to be continue” like what happened with the end of Turbo and of course Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Again, it was a great story and I enjoyed it very much, except for the end, but nice story.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – I have to admit, this episode was a bit of a disappointment. For a finale, this episode was lacking. It felt like a standard episode. Your strength has always been the embodiment of the Physicality of being a Power Ranger, the sacrifices one makes when becoming a Power Ranger, and this episode certainly delivers on that. But it fails to deliver any emotional conclusion to the story. This episode, more than any other, didn’t allow us to live with the Rangers, to understand them, to care. It was all action with almost no breaks. What it felt like to me was that you were rushing to end the story. I think if you had planned the story better, the finale wouldn’t have been as rushed. This episode is a good episode. It’s just not a good finale episode.

Power Rangers: Relic Hunters – Episode 20: Source of Power

Judge 1 – This may be one of the greatest things I have ever read. You guys wrote an amazing finale that truly defined what it is to be an episode of Power Rangers. The heart of both the fandom and the show itself come through here in spades, and I legitimately started tearing up at the scene where Zedd explained his intentions and gave MMPR their powers back, as well as the scene when Bulk, Skull, and Spike get to help their heroes at last. This is truly a deserving finale that brings together everything in the season and ends it with a heartfelt and emotional punch...IN THE JUNK!

Judge 2 – This was a great ending to a fantastic story. You guys are the masters at making me laugh. I fully enjoyed the whole thing from start to ending. Some stuff in the whole story didn’t make sense but it didn’t have to. The ending was just perfect. Thanks again for an awesome story.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – This was your best episode, by far. With this episode and the last episode, I finally understood your story and I have to say, I’m impressed. You guys have shown that you know Power Rangers in a way many people don’t. You know what drives the Rangers. You know why they do what they do. In short, your story embodies the Heart of a Ranger. That’s very difficult to do and I have to say you guys pulled it off beautifully. Your strength has always been your characters. You have very strong characters, richly and fully developed throughout your story. It is quite impressive to behold. And because you’ve developed your characters so well, you’ve made us care about them to the point that the emotional moments are that much more emotional. This last episode illustrates that the best. Also, this episode shows that you know the established characters of the Power Rangers franchise. You know how they think, how they act, and where their natural evolution would be. To the point that you can use that knowledge and the nostalgia of the characters to pull even more emotion from your story. This episode is truly a sight to behold. Saban wishes his writers were as gifted as you, for if they were, Power Rangers would be one of the best shows on TV right now. Great finale!

Power Rangers: The Corsair Project – Episode 20: Day of the Rangers - Part II

Judge 1 – I'm very torn about this finale. It seems to me like you ran out of episodes to do everything you wanted to, and so what would probably have been better as a three part finale, ended up crammed into two. While the story was well done, and there were some awesome scenes, like the mentors becoming rangers to help the team, there were a lot of things that didn't work. Chief among them is the resurrection of Zordon. I don't disagree with the action of doing so, but I feel like the fact that you outright said several episodes ago that there WAS another way for him to come back kind of gave away what was going to happen and made it a lot less special. This should have been a big cliffhanger ending of part two with the rangers morphers and keys destroyed and all hope looking lost. The opening of part three would then have been the Zordon resurrection. This scene itself would have worked better if they thought Zordon was lost to them after the failed attempt, and just happened to put the artifacts on the table at which point the scene commences. Also, there were a few too many direct references to previous events in PR which, while cool, overwhelmed the scene with nostalgia which prevented some scenes from standing on their own.

I will however say that it was still awesome in the end, and that the music cues were a big help in setting the right moods for many of the scenes, and added ambiance to the finale that helped it feel more real. Overall, it was a great finale to an amazing season, that just had some development problems. Also, holy hell that epilogue was longer than the one from Return of the goddamn King

Judge 2 – What an incredible ending. I fully enjoyed the morph sequence. This was truly a great story using the past rangers and past villains together. This was very creative and the story was great.

Judge 3 – N/A

Judge 4 – This was generally a good episode. You guys really know your Power Rangers and you know how to write. You know Power Rangers so well, that your story has embodied the Spirit of a Ranger and that has always been your strength. Also, the music cues were appropriate. What really hurt your score for this final episode was your over-reliance on nostalgia. While the references were well done and, admittedly, a joy to see, the fact that you had so many of them in this one episode and the fact that so many former Rangers were used solely for the references didn’t sit well with me. Also, the way you handled Zordon’s return left a lot to be desired. The fact that you outright told us he was coming back the previous episode completely killed the impact of his return. Zordon’s return should be a momentous occasion that you don’t see coming. You had the perfect set up what with the failure to bring him back earlier in the season and the Rangers losing their powers. I think it would have worked better if you hadn’t told us he was coming back and let us believe he wasn’t coming back. Then you do the whole ritual to restore the Corsair Powers and fix the base, but still no Zordon. Commence with the war, THEN Zordon strides out onto the battlefield. Talk about EPIC. But that’s not all. What you did with him AFTER you brought him back made me go, “Really?” You did almost nothing with him. He barely fought at all. You turned him into a narrative device for the story, which was pretty much what he was in the show. Did you really need to give him a body for that? Even Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, who was used as a large narrative device for the movie, still kicked all kinds of ass. While still a great episode, I think this one was one of your weaker episodes.

Thanks
    All of the Overall Scores and Comments have now been submitted. They should be up along with the Final Tally of all scores by the end of the day. Thanks for your patience! Also, I can't wait to see who won this. It should be close!

Jigaku No Banken!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hello Entrants!

I want to start off by thanking everyone to entered the contest, and congratulating our three finalists!! This competition was fierce and all three seasons were expertly done. There were many times where the judges fought over which episode was better on a given week, and others where we agreed, but each episode was crafted by writers who cared greatly about their stories and their characters, and it showed. If anyone would like to further discuss their seasons with the judges, please feel free to contact us via PM and we will be more than happy to share more of our opinions to help you better understand any of our scores and comments.

On behalf of all the judges, I just want to say that we all enjoyed getting to go along on this adventure with you guys, and we hope you will all return to compete in TPIY Season 3, which I will announce now, barring any drastic changes of opinion, will feature the Go-Busters! It will be several months before another season is launched, but we will be sure to post a full announcement and make everyone aware when we are ready to kick it off!

Now, without further adieu, I give you the Final Scores for Season 2 of RangerVision's The Power Is Yours Contest!!

~ The TPIY Judging Committee

GoldPhoenixRanger
    Ultimate Mikey
    Red Buster
    Kamen Rider Decade
    and formerly Orangefalcon

FINAL SCORES

**NOTE: Judge 3 combined his comments for the finale with his comments on the seasons overall**

POWER RANGERS: UNLEASHED

Judge 1 – You did a great job all season long Fang. Despite being the underdog due to working alone, you stood your ground and even won top episode on several different weeks. The season was intense, capturing the action and tragedy of a more realistic Power Rangers, one where you feel the pain they go through every battle. You threw in twists that I never saw coming, and didn't hesitate to use controversial scenes, even when they sometimes didn't work as well as you intended. Your character development was really well done and I enjoyed following the rangers on their journey and experiencing the roller coaster of emotions that they went through. You proved you have what it takes to hang with the big boys, despite the initial doubts some of us had. I hope to see you back for next season, as I get the feeling there is more villainy out there for the rangers to fight!

Judge 2 – FangRX the story was great. It had a lot of action and a lot of cool bad ass villains. I gave you a 23 out of 25 because there were some shaky parts to the story, but overall it was a good story. Like I said before the ending could have been a little bit better but all in all a good story.

Judge 3 – Although I felt the last chapter was a little short for the finale, it did not disappoint. It’s pretty amazing how far you’ve come since the contest first started. Although the main story is over, I appreciate you left off on a sort of cliffhanger. I get the feeling that things aren’t completely over, and you’ve set a possible sequel into motion. All in all, your story embodied all the aspects of what makes Power Rangers…Power Rangers. Proud of you, dude!

Judge 4 –I’d like to start this off by saying you should be proud of what you’ve accomplished with Unleashed. Throughout this competition, we’ve seen the evolution and growth of your writing. While you are certainly a much better writer now than you were at the beginning of the competition, it’s safe to say you have much further to go. The physical writing is only one aspect of crafting a story. It’s the one aspect you’ve done well with. Your problem, in my opinion, lay with your planning and execution. Your story was a great one, but I think you tried to do too much. You had so many ideas and concepts, but didn’t really have the space to properly execute them. You tried to squeeze them in to the time and space allotted and that made your story feel rushed. You didn’t give enough time in your story to properly explore and develop those ideas. Also, while twists and turns keep readers on their toes, too many twists and turns in too short a time leaves them scratching their heads. Along with that is the magnitude of your twists and turns. Your twists and turns were not small by any means and because of that, the sheer number you had during the course of the story left me with “WTF Overload,” as I’ll call it. Having said that, I’m glad you stuck it out until the end. You clearly have a passion for writing and I hope you do continue to write.

POWER RANGERS: RELIC HUNTERS

Judge 1 – I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. I will admit here and now that Relic Hunters is my favorite of the three seasons, and for good reason. You guys understand what makes Power Rangers the show and emotional experience that it is for true fans like us, and that shines through in each episodes. You developed a ragtag band of pirates into true heroes while making us laugh, cry, and think a little more about ourselves along the way. I may have gotten a little lost in some episodes, but it always came back to the rangers and their friendship, which conquered all. This is truly an epic sight to behold, and a rightful heir to the throne of the Ronin Legends! I look forward to the continuation of your world and the discovery of what's to come next season.

Judge 2 – Question and the Rockettes I gave you a 23 out of 25 because it was a great story. I thought some parts of the story were hilarious. You guys sure know how to make someone laugh. By far Sexton was my favorite character. I also how you incorporated some of the past villains and past Power Rangers into the story.

Judge 3 – It was dramatic and bizarre, basically the entire essence of your whole story. The best part was Air Bud transforming into the White Ranger. Everything was wrapped up nice and neat, and it did not disappoint. Although I don’t think this would ever work as a children’s television show, you guys wrote a story you wanted to tell for others to enjoy, and you accomplished that, and I respect the hell out of it.

Judge 4 – Once I read your finale and understood your story, I must say it’s very well written with lots of subtlety and nuance. However, I believe that was your greatest weakness. Your story was designed for a reader with a level of understanding and reasoning higher than your average Power Ranger fan. Personally, I did not understand your story at all until your last two episodes (and until I spoke with one of you). Your individual episodes, as I have said throughout this entire competition, were strong. I just didn’t understand how they fit together. I will say this, however: you have the strongest developed characters of the three remaining entrants. That fact alone made each of your episodes a joy to read on their own. Your stories for the individual episodes were superbly crafted and your ongoing story thread with the villains kept me coming back. It might be just personal preference, but if you had connected your episodes together better to show that they were part of an interconnected whole, your season would have been a sight to behold. Still, you all did a fantastic job!

POWER RANGERS: THE CORSAIR PROJECT

Judge 1 – Ah, Corsair. If there were ever a story that truly felt like a real Power Rangers season, this is it. Every in joke, every reference, every character cameo made this one of the best PR team up seasons I've ever seen. Seeing our favorite characters return and work with this amazing new team was a treat, and the characterization of the new rangers was well done. Kratos story really tied the whole season together, and using Divatox as a mentor and her mother as the Empress added a whole new dimension to intrigue to the story. The team of mentors working together was a perfect combination which worked wonders to bring back that nostalgic feeling and create a PR adventure like we've never seen before! While some episodes had issues of dragging on, and the ending became a little rushed and crammed, it was still a great season and I hope to see some cameos in the next season of TPIY!

Judge 2 – Locusts of Awesomeness this was the utmost, brilliant stories I have ever read. I was glued to my chair the whole time reading this. I enjoyed how you brought back every single ranger and brought back villains from the past as well. It was well thought up and enjoyable to read.

Judge 3 – You guys have continued to do great work throughout this contest, and by no surprise your finale hit it home. The only complaint I have is that it felt like it should have been split into two parts instead of one, as there was a lot going on the whole time. Despite that, you made it work. Your story focused on the nostalgia, dare I say in a better way than was done with Gokaiger. It’s everything you’d want in an anniversary series: action, old faces, and an exciting storyline. Great job to all of you.

Judge 4 – I really enjoyed your story. It was well written and the characters were, for the most part, spot on. You developed the Corsair Rangers nicely with relatively good pacing. That is… until the last few episodes. It felt, to me, like as the end drew near, you were rushing to fit in all the cameos and that’s never a good thing. I think if you had planned it out better, like maybe dispensed with some of the cameos or combined them with other teams throughout the story, the pacing would have been consistent through to the end. The one thing that really hurt you and that caused me to knock a point off the overall is, as I mentioned in my comments for your final episode, the fact that you gave away that Zordon was coming back two episodes before the finale. If you had not revealed that Zordon could, in fact, still return, it would have given the finale that much more of a punch. Also, the fact that you brought Zordon back and did almost nothing with him was pretty anti-climactic. Having said that, I’ve given you my highest rating because you have proved that Power Rangers can still be PG and be good. Great job overall!