Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    A jankey option we could try is retool an existing inactive account that never did anything but lurk. Change name, email, remove all details and give it to the new member.

Also, I gave you THE POWER.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so I think I've at least identified the problems.

tl;dr - Aspects of plug-ins are screwing with registration and new post coding hooks, so the functions can't complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LONG VERSION

I checked the error log again and studied the problem, which led to the realization that the Registration and Posting issues are actually two separate problems.

POSTING PROBLEM - "PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function VBGHSFS_AkismetCheckComment() in /home/rangervi/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(562) : eval()'d code on line 26"

Translation - The spam blocker is trying to communicate with a specific spam database (Akismet) to screen users, but is unable to do so.

REGISTRATION PROBLEM - PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function VBGHSFS_Process() in /home/rangervi/public_html/register.php(347) : eval()'d code on line 11

Translation - An aspect of either the Spam-O-Matic (a feature to automatically move new users into a specific usergroup if they pass a check, something already handled by other features) or an aspect of the Multiple Account Detection & Blocker (a feature to outright disallow registration for multiple accounts, which we don't use) is causing the User Registration function to be unable to complete.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I tried turning some of these specific plug in aspects off, we were overrun with spambots within a few hours, so there may not be a way to fix this unless we delete and replace the plug ins in question.

Also, I discovered during that process that the One Touch Ban and Clean doesn't seem to be working properly either.

At this point I think we are simply too far out of date and the only permanent solution is an upgrade to VB5

P.S. - Rage, thank you for THE POWER!

Thanks
    Well, honestly, even if we'd lose the whole database, I don't think updating would be a bad idea. Currently the forum mostly works as a Shoutbox and a place for the occasional RPG to happen, the latter of which being where we encountered this problem. If an update allows people to set up their games with the people they want in the game, I think that would be best.

That said, if it costs money, it's definitely not up to me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The upgrade cost is $250 for a VB5 license, so yeah that would be up to Kurama whether he thinks its worth it to shell that out given the board's current level of activity.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE:

Ok, I'm trying something new. I have changed the Registration Security option from the question about Tommy to a reCAPCHA, and I have set all new members to require Admin approval before they are able to post anything. I have also again disabled the Spam O Matic and Multiple Account Detection settings mentioned above that were preventing registration.

I am hoping that this combination will allow members to register without an inundation of Spambots. I'll check the Admin CP for members at least once a day, and Rage if you could also check periodically that should ensure that new members are able to join with minimal difficulty.

We'll leave it this way for a day or two and see what happens.