Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

New Members cannot register

One player from another site wanted to register here but he said the system won't let them.
    RISING CONVICTION! TRICERA BLUE!

*Credits to RavenDCloud for the Amazing Sig*

Thanks
    I remember this issue existed before, and there was a bit of a post about it here: http://www.rangervision.com/showthre...gin-LadyBear82

Some details for non-staff, as they can't few the thread (I might move it later). We have/had an automated user called The BanHammer who automatically detected when one IP address was used for multiple account, so we could ban them if necessary. It was mainly for an old archaic rule that you weren't allowed multiple accounts. Anyway, we found out the registration didn't work and someone had tried to manually add an account in Admin CP, but that account didn't allow them to post, even though all rights seemed to be set correctly.

I don't know if it's the same issue again, but adding the person manually *might* work. I recall eventually someone found out what the issue was and fixed it, but that discussion was in a thread similar to this one in the Board News subforum, and seems to have disappeared since then, so I can't find the eventual solution. I don't have a direct line to Kage, Geeps or anyone else who might be able to help, so either we have to wait until they see this, or someone else has to contact them.

Thanks
    Hey Blue, do you know if the member is able to register yet? Kage turned off some protections of the website hoping that would solve it. Otherwise I'm gonna try adding them manually, though I can't promise that will work.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I will tell him directly to try registering now

UPDATE: He tells me he still cannot register.
    Last edited by Blue Buster; 06-16-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    PM me the users email and I can set-up the account

^Made by Paul^

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Got it. Sending it now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE: he signed in but now he says he cannot post.

Thanks
    Sounds like the same issue we had last time, but I cannot for the life of me remember who or what fixed it.

Thanks
    I've checked all his permissions and that tells me he can, might have to do a deep dive later

^Made by Paul^

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To answer Rage's question, we never fixed it because we never definitively determined what was causing the issue.

The furthest I got was noting that the Server Error Log was full of Missing File Errors, so I was operating on the assumption that had something to do with it. I was waiting for Kurama to determine whether he wanted to contact either URLJet or VBulletin depending on who he thought had jurisdiction on that kind of issue.

I don't recall what I crossed off the list prior, but it could also be related to accounts needing verification of their e-mail addresses to work (though with us direct creating them I would think this would bypass that as an issue).

Also, we never upgraded to VB5, and its possible doing so might fix the issue as well since it would be a fresh install of the program without all the extra addons and tweaks we made to our VB4 over the years.

If someone wants to give me Admin access again I'll be happy to do what I can to help, so someone just let me know what we decide to do.
    Last edited by GoldPhoenixRanger; 06-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.